Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Larabars & Literature

Today began with a great start. I had my British Literature course at the college and we discussed "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." I wasn't so sure about this course because of it being such old literature, but I'm growing to enjoy it. I also have a fabulous professor, so that only adds to the enjoyment.

After class ended I went to lunch with a friend downtown. We tried a local deli shop that neither of us had been to. It was quite a successful trip; I daresay I will go there again. I had a turkey sandwhich on wheat bread and some form of dessert that consisted of chocolate pudding, cream cheese, pie crust, and other ingredients that I can't recall at present. I'm trying to eat better, but sometimes a treat like that can't be turned down.

Also while downtown, my friend and I stopped in a local health food store to buy Larabars. If you are ever in search of a snack bar but don't want all of the unfortunate additives, buy Larabar. They are unprocessed, raw, non-GMO, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, kosher, and contain no added sugar. The flavors I bought today are Peanut Butter Cookie, Coconut Cream Pie, Cherry Pie, and Chocolate. They are THE BEST snack bars that I've ever eaten, hands down. They also contain a daily serving of fruit, so you can't go wrong there! I can't congratulate them enough. I would visit the Larabar website and check them out, and then run to your local health food or grocery store to pick some up!



I also finished reading Pride & Prejudice, a task that I have been on since mid-December. I had been reading other books in the process, but P&P was a challenge for me. I used to fall asleep to the movie version every night (for nearly two years), so getting through the book version was difficult. But I managed to get through the story unharmed and with a greater appreciate for Jane Austen. I am trying to read works of British author's whose worlds I will be visiting come May. The next challenge: King Lear. We are going to the Royal Shakespeare Company production of King Lear while in Stratford Upon Avon, so I thought it only appropriate to become more familiar with the play.

I ate a simple yet delicious dinner this evening. I had a salad consisting of spinach, carrots, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, and balsamic/vinegar dressing. I also had a smoothie consisting of fat-free strawberry yogurt, raspberries, blueberries, oats, and Almond Breeze milk. Both were delightful and I highly recommend such a meal, or even the smoothie on its own for a snack.

I suppose that is all for today. I have to work on a short story for Creative Writing and get some sleep. Working in morning.

Cheers!


What is your favorite healthy snack?

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite proud of you for finishing P&P because, as we both know, I didn't get passed the first six chapters. :-( But I hope you really enjoyed it!

    I envy your trip to England and I agree that it's best to prep before hand so you can better appreciate the beauty and art.

    Best wishes! :-)

    ReplyDelete